Effective for Examination May 2019
- The Examining and Awarding Body is the Institute of Health Records and Information Management and the Examination is open to Overseas candidates.
- Only candidates who have been officially accepted by the Institute for Student Membership and who meet all the regulations will be allowed to attempt the Examination. Examination candidates must be fully paid-up members of the Institute.
- Application forms for student membership may be obtained from the IHRIM Office. Candidates would normally be expected to hold the Overseas Foundation Certificate but exemptions will be granted by the Director of Education under certain circumstances, in consultation with a second member of the Examination Board.
- The Examination will normally be held on the fourth Monday and Tuesday of May each year.
- The Examination will be held in designated overseas centres and every effort will be made to ensure the candidate attends an Examination Centre close to his/her home.
- The Examination will consist of four  papers
- Health Records Management 2 ½ hours
- Healthcare Statistics 1 ½ hours
- Medical Terminology 1 ½ hours
- Planning & Managing a Health Records Department 1½ hours
- The pass mark for the papers is shown below but all modules must be passed at the first attempt in order to achieve a distinction for which the total pass mark is 80% of the overall total.
- Health Records Management 60%
- Healthcare Statistics 50%
- Medical Terminology 50%
- Planning & Managing a Health Records Department 50%
- Candidates applying to take the Examination MUST lodge with the IHRIM Office a completed Examination Registration Form, together with a cheque made payable to IHRIM (UK) for the appropriate amount by 15 February each year.
NB: Late registrations will not be accepted and any completed registration forms received without a cheque will be returned.
- Any candidate whose registration form is not acknowledged within two working weeks of posting should advise the IHRIM Office immediately.
- If a candidate withdraws his/her name before the last day of entry to the Examination the fee will either be returned or carried forward for one year, however an administration charge of £25.00 +VAT will apply. If a candidate fails to attend on the day of the Examination the fee will be carried forward for one year providing a medical certificate is submitted to the Associate Director of Education [Administration] within seven days of the date of the Examination. Otherwise fees are non-returnable unless exceptional circumstances exist and then only at the discretion of the Director of Education. The candidate will be responsible for any increase in fees which may occur between the initial payment and the date the Examination is taken.
- Any amendments to the syllabus will be published 12 months before the Examination date.
- The Examination paper will only be set on the current syllabus bearing the same date as these regulations.
- Any representation that a candidate may wish to make regarding the conduct of the Examination must be made in writing to the Associate Director of Education [Administration] within seven days of the conclusion of the Examination, using the Complaints Procedure which is available on the IHRIM Web Site.
- Candidates can expect to receive their results as a percentage mark. The Newsletter will only show a pass notification.
- Candidates will be notified of the results of the Examination at the end of July of the year in which the Examination was taken. The names of successful candidates will be published in the Newsletter of the Institute.
- The Examination Appeals Procedure is available from the Director of Education of IHRIM.
- Candidates who fail to reach the pass standard in this paper may re-sit the paper on any two  subsequent occasions but within three years of the first attempt on payment of the appropriate fee and according to the syllabus which is in place at the time of the Examination.
- Successful candidates who pass the Examination will be awarded the appropriate Certificate and adopt the title ‘Certificated Member’ and may use the designatory letters O/CHRIM.
Examination Framework and Timetable
Health Records Management 3 hours - Question 1 and four others
[FIVE questions in total]
0930 – 0935 Reading time
0935 – 1205 Written Examination
Healthcare Statistics 1½ hours - Three questions
1330 – 1335 Reading time
1335 – 1505 Written Examination
Medical Terminology 1 ½ hours - Question 1 and two others
[THREE questions in total]
0915 – 0920 Reading time
0920 – 1050 Written Examination
Planning & Managing a Health Records Department 1½ hours - Three questions
1115 – 1120 Reading time
1120 - 1250 Written Examination