- Published: 24 April 2013
The Institute (IHRIM) is the professional organisation for people working in health informatics, be it health records, clinical coding, or information governance. IHRIM is primarily an educational body and examinations at various levels are carried out –
- Certificates of Technical Competence (CTCs) - offering those staff who have not studied for a while, the opportunity to gain a qualification. The Certificates of Technical Competence have been written in line with the Knowledge and Skills Framework and offer managers the reassurance that their staff are compliant with the Core Dimensions of health informatics
- Foundation Level examination
- Certificate Level examination
- Diploma examination
- National Clinical Coding Qualification
IHRIM has existed in one form or another since 1948 and has continuously provided members with up-to-date information on legislation, best practice and current affairs relating to health informatics.
Membership of IHRIM brings many benefits in the form of professional support and sharing of experience and knowledge. Primarily, membership of the Institute means being part of an internationally recognised professional organisation. IHRIM's association with other organisations such as IFHIMA, UKCHIP, ASSIST, RMS and BSMSA gives members the opportunity to be proactive with regard to legislative changes, developments and compliance within their organisation through networking opportunities.
Members receive an electronic Newsletter every two months. This includes various articles, lots of educational information (for students and for experienced staff who wish to expand their knowledge), information about what is happening in the Institute and also some fun articles. In addition to this, members are kept up to date by regular email correspondence.
IHRIM is the only professional organisation offering comprehensive qualifications for health records and health information professionals at all grades. An IHRIM qualification offers a competitive edge with employers, potential employers, colleagues and peers. IHRIM qualifications are recognised as the benchmark of professional excellence.
The IHRIM web site (www.ihrim.co.uk) is kept up to date and articles of interest on topical issues are made available to members. Non-members can access the site to view the syllabi for our exams and details of past papers. Information on how to join the Institute is also available on the web site along with details of events we are organising or that we feel would be of interest.
IHRIM National Conferences and any other IHRIM events are registered for UKCHIP CPD, which helps members when compiling their CPD portfolios for both UKCHIP registration and for the KSF.
Why having staff who are members of IHRIM is of benefit to the NHS
There are strategic benefits for NHS organisations of having trained, qualified staff in health informatics roles and IHRIM makes knowledge available to these staff members to make them more enabled in performing their roles. The benefits include:
- Better record keeping leads to improved patient safety
- More positive outcomes may be achieved for patients through information being made more speedily and accurately available to clinical staff
- Legal policy compliance is more likely to be achieved, ensuring complete records are available when required
- NHS efficiency is increased and this gives rise to increased public confidence
- Overall NHS costs can be reduced with patients able to be discharged sooner as the information is more readily to hand to allow that; also in litigation cases full back up information can be provided
- Preventative medicine can be improved through statistics produced from accurate data
- Good and bad clinical practice can more quickly be observed through accurate record keeping